Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Dalchork

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Canmore ID 5254

Site Number NC51SE 8

NGR NC 5725 1116

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lairg
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC51SE 8 5725 1116.

(NC 57251116) Broch (NR) (Remains of)

OS 1:10,000 map (1970)

The remains of a broch standing on the flat summit of a knoll some 9.1m high above formerly marshy houghland. The external wall stood to a height of 0.6m in 1873 (Name Book 1873), but the remains now consist of a mound, about 17m in diameter, of small stones, the larger having been removed. The only structural feature visible is walling on the west side. A berm surrounds the broch about 2m above ground level on the south side while the rubble mass has a maximum height of 2.7m above the berm. There are indications of ditching on the NW and SW of the berm. About 20m NE of the centre is a well-preserved kiln, stone-lined and 1.2m deep, with the outline of a small rectangular structure about 5m by 2.5m on its east side. The stone footings of a wall extend from the kilns SW side to the limit of the debris tumble on the NE side of the broch and overlying the berm. Immediately to the south of the south side of the berm is the stony outline of a second rectangular structure measuring about 11m by 4m.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Name Book 1873; Visited by OS (EGC) 26 June 1963

No change to previous field report.

Revised at 25" and 1:10 000

Visited by OS (JB) 13 August 1976

As previously described, but further details can be added. Firstly, the wall which extends from the kiln to the limits of the debris on the NE side of the broch overlies a stone wall which extends from the N side of the top of the broch mound down to the edge of the beron which it then follows before terminating in the E, to the N of a quarry.

Secondly, a small rectangular building measuring 3 by 1.3m internally, over walls 0.6m wide overlies the rectangular structure to the south of the broch mound. A stone wall, 0.9m wide, extends from the NW corner of this building, in a north westerly direction towards the river's edge. Surveyed at 1:250

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 17 October 1989.


Publication Account (2007)


NC/5725 1116

Possible broch in Lairg, Sutherland, standing on the flat summit of an apparently artificial knoll amidst flat farmland and about 9m (30ft) above the river. The surrounding ground was once marshy [2]. The mound covering the ruined building – 17m in diameter and up to 2.7m high – is now featureless except for some walling on the west side; it occupies the centre of the flat summit of the knoll. The knoll surface itself is about 2m above the surrounding ground level and the descript-ions suggest that there are traces of ditches around it. There is a presumably recent kiln about 20m north-east of the centre and there are signs of enclosures on the north and east sides, coming up to the edge of the broch [2]. This site seems to be an outlying example of the 'mound on mound' type commonly found in Caithness [3].

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NC 51 SE 8: 2. RCAHMS 1911a, 136, no. 394: 3. Mercer 1980, 119, site DAL 181b (the grid reference given here, 573182, does not fit with position of the site on the OS map).

E W MacKie 2007


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions