Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 'dingwall Castle'

Castle (Medieval), Jail (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 'dingwall Castle'

Classification Castle (Medieval), Jail (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52531

Site Number NT27SE 66

NGR NT 2590 7394

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52531

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 66 2590 7394.

Dingwall Castle stood on the same site as the Orphan Hospital (Thin 1927; Paton 1933) (at NT 2590 7394 - see NT27SE 137) on ground now occupied by British Railways. It was probably built for John Dingwall, provost of Trinity College Church from 1525-32. In the civil war of 1571-3, it was used as a blockhouse, and later as a prison. Its stones were used for the repair of Trinity College Church in 1643. Gordon's drawing of 1647 shows the ruin as quadrangular, built round an open courtyard, with a circular tower projecting from each corner.

R Thin 1927; H Paton 1933; RCAHMS 1951.

No trace. No further information.

Visited by OS (J D) 26 December 1953.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions