Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Holyrood Palace, Chapel Royal

Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Holyrood Palace, Chapel Royal

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Holyrood Abbey Church; Palace Of Holyrood; Palace Of Holyroodhouse

Canmore ID 52392

Site Number NT27SE 35.09

NGR NT 2693 7390

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52392

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 9 2693 7390

(not to be confused with NT27SE 35.11)

(NT 2693 7390) Former Chapel Royal (NR) (Site of).

OS 1:1250 map, (1946).

Former Chapel Royal of Holyroodhouse was on the south side of the main court.

Visited by OS(JLD) 29 December 1953.

No further information was encountered during investigation. No other references to this site were found.

Visited by OS(JLD) 31 December 1953.

Activities

Fabric Recording (16 October 2009 - 19 October 2009)

NT 2693 7390 A recording exercise was undertaken on 16–19 October 2009 during the repair of windows on the S face of the palace. The easternmost two windows on the first and second floors had been constructed to have the appearance, but not the operation, of sash windows. Masonry blocking behind the windows is thought to have been in situ when these windows were first installed. Inscriptions seen on the blocking and window panes consisted mostly of signed names, many dated 1867. Glass from previous repairs was cleared from between the window frames and the blocking at the first floor level, but there were no inscriptions visible on the fragments. The glass sherds varied in thickness and it is thought that the thinner glass would have replaced earlier thicker window glass.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Historic Scotland

David Murray and Alan Radley – Kirkdale Archaeology

Watching Brief (2010)

NT 269 739 (centred on) A watching brief was maintained during the excavation of ten small holes in the grounds of the palace. These were designed to take permanent survey markers and were located around the S, E and N sides of the palace complex. The holes were hand-excavated and measured 400 x 400mm by 125mm deep. The sandy silt recorded in the holes contained no archaeological features or finds of archaeological significance.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Historic Scotland

David Murray – Kirkdale Archaeology

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions