Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 238, 240, 242, 244 Canongate

Tenement (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 238, 240, 242, 244 Canongate

Classification Tenement (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Chessel's Court, Front Block

Canmore ID 52367

Site Number NT27SE 338

NGR NT 26228 73704

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52367

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 338 26225 73699

Rebuilt by Robert Hurd and Partners, 1958-66, repeating the front, originally built 1769. Four storeys and an attic high.

RCAHMS 1951; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Edinburgh, 236-244 Canongate which was a Category B Listed building was demolished in 1963 and has now been reconstructed. Information from NMRS Demolitions catalogue.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions