Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 95 Canongate, Reid's Court, Canongate Manse

Manse (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 95 Canongate, Reid's Court, Canongate Manse

Classification Manse (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 3 Reid's Court

Canmore ID 52355

Site Number NT27SE 327

NGR NT 26554 73879

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52355

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 327.00 26551 73878

NT27SE 327.01 26546 73875 West Wing

NT27SE 327.02 26563 73881 East Wing

Early 18th century main block (3 Reid's Court, now Canongate House) of two storeys. Wings (5, 6 Reid's Court) were added later in the same century. Restored by Ian G Lindsay and Partners in 1958-9.

RCAHMS 1951; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (24 September 1999)

Two shields attached midway up gate, both with top band and central chevron. One has a chalice between two crosses in the top band, the other has a cross between two croziers at the top with a yellow/black banded chevron dividing three halberds (? axes).

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0548)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions