Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 11, 13, 15 Canongate

Butchers Shop (19th Century), Shop (17th Century)(Possible), Tenement (17th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 11, 13, 15 Canongate

Classification Butchers Shop (19th Century), Shop (17th Century)(Possible), Tenement (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 3 Robertson's Court; Watergate

Canmore ID 52349

Site Number NT27SE 321

NGR NT 26730 73926

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52349

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 321 2672 7392

An oblong tenement of four storeys and a garret, dated 16(9?)7. Ground floor, shops.

RCAHMS 1951.

Architecture Notes

Old three gabled tenement numbered 56 in ET MacRae's report of 1945 on "The Royal Mile". Mr MacRae gives its date as from 1691, and recommends its repair and its re-use as re-housing.

Also said to date from 1697, according to Bib Ref 19301.

REFERENCE:

See NMRS Historical File, under Old Tenement, Nos. 11, 13 and 15 Canongate (Watergate). Entry consists of one page of scale plan and information.

Inglis Photograph Collection

2 prints of proposed development of vacant site 1892, Frank & Simon architects

Acc No 1994/90

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

City Architect's Store, Drawer no 74 contains:

1

Photographs of the tenement and of the area East of same at the angle of Canongate and North Back of Canongate (Calton Road) partly demolished and shewing also the old well which formerly stood at the foot of the Canongate

2

A sketch of a proposed building to occupy this partly demolished Gushet site, by Frank W Simon, architect: copy in the NMRS

3

A plan to scale of proposed excambion [?] between the town and W B McLachlan, giving new building line and a widening at that part of North Canongate. The plan is dated Public Works Office 19th octiober 1893 and a pencil note added indicates 'This is the plan agreed to by Prof Geddes'.

The above 1, 2 and 3 are docketted as 'Plan and view of proposed building submitted by Prof P Geddes'. This was not, however, the building eventually erected. Photostat copies in NMRS

Activities

Photographic Survey (October 1965)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in October 1965.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions