Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 537-539 Castlehill, Front Block To S

Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 537-539 Castlehill, Front Block To S

Classification Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Castlehill Antiques; Jollie's Close; Sempill House; Semple's Close

Canmore ID 52341

Site Number NT27SE 314

NGR NT 25453 73542

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52341

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 314 25453 73542

NT27SE 5339 25444 73547 537-539 Castlehill, Rear Block to N

17th century rear block of three storeys, stair tower to close on E side. Front block early 19th century, three storeys.

RCAHMS 1951.

Semple's or Sempill's Close was named for the mansion at the foot of the close built by a David Brown in 1638, and occupied by Grissel, Lady Semple, widow of Francis, 8th Lord Semple, prior to 1734, when it was acquired by Hugh, 11th Lord Semple. It seems also to have been called Williamson's Close from a house in it owned by Joseph Williamson, advocate, of a family with a penchant for naming their properties humorously. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 559)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions