Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 3-4 Hunter Square

Bank (Financial) (19th Century), Hall (18th Century), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 3-4 Hunter Square

Classification Bank (Financial) (19th Century), Hall (18th Century), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Royal Bank Of Scotland

Canmore ID 52338

Site Number NT27SE 311

NGR NT 25888 73606

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52338

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 311 25888 73606

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 311 25888 73606

Built in 1788-90 as the Edinburgh Merchant Company Hall from plans by John Baxter Jr. Three storeys and basement. Rusticated ground floor reconstructed for the Royal Bank in 1898 by J M Dick Peddie.

RCAHMS 1951; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

ARCHITECT: John Baxter 1788-90

Good Adam style. Ground floor altered. Wood and plaster panelling in Hall. Fireplaces.

REFERENCE: NMRS HISTORICAL FILE

10 pages of text giving details of development of area surrounding the Bridges and Cockburn Street -filed under "COCKBURN STREET"

Edinburgh, Hunter Square, Royal Bank of Scotland.

NMRS REFERENCE.

PLANS:

Dick Peddie and MacKay, Edinburgh.

Bin 36, Bag 2.

Kinnear and Peddie, 1879.

Edinburgh, Hunter Square, Royal Bank of Scotland.

NMRS REFERENCE.

PLANS:

Dick Peddie and MacKay, Edinburgh, alts.

Bin 36, Bag 2.

peddie and kinnear, 1875.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions