Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 8-18 Blackfriars Street

Hostel (20th Century), Town House (16th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 8-18 Blackfriars Street

Classification Hostel (20th Century), Town House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Earl Of Morton's House; High Street Hostel; Regent Morton's House

Canmore ID 52331

Site Number NT27SE 305

NGR NT 26025 73596

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52331

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 305 26025 73596

Four storeys of 16th-century date, raised by a floor in the 17th century. Stair-tower at N end. Timber galleries shown in a drawing of 1857 projecting into Blackfriars Street have been removed. Other late alterations.

RCAHMS 1951.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (3 April 2002)

Ogee-pedimented door piece. In the tympanum is the coat of arms composed of a seated unicorn on left and right, front legs holding central shield which is topped by a crown. Nothing on shield. All carved in low relief.

Inspected By : A. Taubman

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : Early 16th century

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0456)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions