Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 107 High Street, Bailie Fyfe's Close

Carved Stone (Period Unassigned), Lintel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 107 High Street, Bailie Fyfe's Close

Classification Carved Stone (Period Unassigned), Lintel (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52318

Site Number NT27SE 294

NGR NT 2602 7369

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 294 2602 7368

Above the modern entrance to Bailie Fyfe's Close, a 17th-century heraldic panel has been inserted. The shield, which is flanked by the initials I P and M H, bears the arms of Hay of Murnsyde. The carved lintel over the E window on the second floor seems to be modern. A moulded lintel said to have come from the third floor of the tall tenement that formerly stood upon the E side of the Close, and now inserted over a doorway in the modern brick building that occupies the same site, bears


together with the date 1572.

J Geddie 1927; RCAHMS 1951.


Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association ( set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (13 August 2002)

Square relief panel with violinish-shaped shield divided vertically in two. On the left is a chevron with two mullets (five-pointed stars) above it and one mullet below; on the right are two small shields (top), a mullet (centre) and a small shield (bottom). The shield is flanked by a scrolled frame with a flower and leaves on the left and shamrocks on the right.

Incorporated into the tenement at 109-119 High Street, built in 1902 by Alexander W. Macnaughtan.

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : Raised letters at corners of square panel: J P / M H

Signatures : None

Design period : (17th

Year of unveiling : 1902

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0765)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions