Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 211 - 213 High Street

Shop (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 211 - 213 High Street

Classification Shop (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Jackson's Close; Lyon's Close

Canmore ID 52314

Site Number NT27SE 290

NGR NT 25863 73653

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52314

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 290 25863 73653

This rubble-built tenement, six storeys and an attic in height, faces the street and includes at street level a modern shop and the entry to Jackson's Close. The facade above represents a remodelling of about 1700. More recently both of the chimney-stalks have been renewed in brick. The interior has been modernised. Extending northwards from this tenement are two others in sequence, bounded on the W by Lyon's Close and on the E by Jackson's Close. The more southerly of these, comprising a cellarage and two upper floors may be as late as the 18th century. The interior, without any interest but for some panelling of late Georgian type, is now used as a store. The more northerly, five storeys in height, seems to date from the late 17th century, but has undergone alteration both in the century following and recently.

RCAHMS 1951.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (26 August 1999)

Painted relief of an otter standing holding a fish on left of landscape with water tumbling over rocks. Grasses and two green frogs on bottom right.

Inscriptions : On blue wooden rectangular frame:

Top (deeply incised and gilded): JACKSON'S

Bottom: A taste of Scotland

Signatures : On rock, bottom right:

Stuart / Macgregor / -95

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0036)

Field Visit (24 September 2002)

Wooden painted relief of a landscape with a tumbling stream in the central foreground and a stag in the background. Boulders either side in the foreground contain the street number (left) and the restaurant name ['Jackson's'] (right). A bird sits above the right-hand boulder, with a thistle behind. Two frogs sit to the right of the street number. The rectangular horizontal wooden frame has crab, lobster, prawn and fish cut-outs around it to create relief.

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : Bottom right (painted gold letters): JACKSONS

Bottom left (painted gold numbers): 209-213

Above numbers: D(?) MacK

Signatures : None Visible

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0772)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions