Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 221 - 227 High Street

Post Office (19th Century), Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 221 - 227 High Street

Classification Post Office (19th Century), Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) North Fowlis' Close; Old Stamp Office Close

Canmore ID 52311

Site Number NT27SE 289

NGR NT 25846 73653

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52311

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 289 25846 73653

The lowest part of this tenement, which extends into North Foulis Close, dates from the 17th century; but the upper parts have been entirely rebuilt and the shop facing the High Street has been so much reconstructed that only in the back portion can the early masonry be seen. This shop was at one time occupied by James Gillespie of Spylaw. RCAHMS 1951.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions