Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, High Street, Warriston's Close

Carved Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, High Street, Warriston's Close

Classification Carved Stone (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52308

Site Number NT27SE 286

NGR NT 2572 7367

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52308

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 286 257 736

A modern doorway on the W side of Warriston's Close incorporates a 17th-century lintel inscribed DEI GRATIA THOMAS T...., accompanied by heraldic shields. A second lintel from the Close is in Huntly House Museum. It is inscribed with initials M T C and H H for Master (afterwards Sir) Thomas Craig and Helen Heriot followed by the inscription (NA)MQVE ERIT ILLE MIHI SEMPER DEVS 1583, with a shield. RCAHMS 1951.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions