Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 373 High Street, Byer's Close

Bee Bole (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Edinburgh, 373 High Street, Byer's Close

Classification Bee Bole (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 52297

Site Number NT27SE 276

NGR NT 25675 73639

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52297

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 276 2567 7362

(Six-storey block on W side of Byer's Close, T-plan, remodelled 18th century, projecting newel stair.)

HBD No. 1336A

Architecture Notes

Byre's Close (Byer's Close) was named for John Byres, merchant burgess (1569-1629). Adam Bothwell, Bishop of Orkney (d.1593) also had his house here (see NT27SE 277), still noted for its half-octagon gable and curious "bee holes" on its East front. "Protocols of John Foular" record two earlier names for the close: in 1525 it is noted as Malcolm's Close, for a family of that name, owners of a land on its East side; and in 1534 it is given as William Lauder's Close, evidently named for William Lauder, bailie in 1528, or quite possibly for his namesake, a bailie in 1453. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 139).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions