Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, High Street, North Bridge To Lawnmarket, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, High Street, North Bridge To Lawnmarket, General

Classification General View

Alternative Name(s) Currour's Close; Royal Bank Close; St Ann Street; Slater's Close; Lee's/leye's Close; Cranston Close; Tron Picture House

Canmore ID 52255

Site Number NT27SE 229

NGR NT 2582 7362

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52255

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Relating to Royal Bank Close:

RHP 5556 R Burn 1802 -plan and elevation for improveing entry to the Royal Bank of Scotland (possibly located near Tron Church/Hunter's Square).

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Relating to Currour's Close:

Jedge Warrant in favour of Mark ker for alterations to the entries and passages of the above property.

1577 GD 90/5/2

REFERENCE:

Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1811 28.2.1811

Pet. of Charles Ritchie, Ironmonger

High Street north side to east of Anchor Close, also Swans Close

Alterations to shop front - (wrought?) iron balcony

Balustrades shown below windows on third floor

Plan showing relative positions of Anchor &Swans Close

Plan and elevation of shop & front to High Street

Stair next to shop. "Stair to ware rooms belonging to the Society of Gents' servants"

Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1813 January-June 29.4.1813

Pet. James Hay, Ws and others, proprietors of tenement in bishops Land, north side of High Street

"said tenement of land having been burnt down by the later fite and become ruinous"

Seven plans of all floors and Elevation, all signed by Thomas Bonnar, 16th March 1813

Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1813 January-June 27.5.1813

Pet. James Bridges WS.

405 High Street.

Plan showing alterations and repairs. Unsigned.

Sources: Dean of Guild 18.11.1813

Pet. Andrew Steele, WS, and Robert Bayne, merchant, Leith.

Shop in High Street to west of Carrubbers Close.

Minor alterations to shop front.

Elevation, initialled.

Sources: Dean of Guild 9.12.1813

Pet. James Hay, WS, and others

West End of Bishops Land

To repair and reconstruct a ruinous tenement which appears to estend over part of

Carrubbers Close

Plan and section enclosed. signed J.B., 11 Aug 1813

[Thomas Brown]

Sources: Dean of Guild 14.4.1814

Pet. Messrs Boyd and Hogg.

Opposite the Luckenbooth.

Minor alterations - shop front.

Plan and elevation, unsigned.

Sources: Dean of Guild 14.4.1814

Pet. William Walker and others

Head of Byres Close - High Street (fronting)

Minor alteration - stair interior

Plan and elevation unsigned - in same hand as petition of Boyd & Hogg, High Street,

14.4.1814

Sources: Dean of Guild 9.6.1814

Pet. Alexander Henderson, seedsman

Hogs Land, North side of High Street

Elevation of shop front, unsigned

Edinburgh, St Ann Street.

Street formed c.1770 and descended steeply from Prince's street immediately West of North Bridge. It was suppressed in 1816 by town council who built a new terrace of houses set back 12 ft from bridge and intended to improve the view of the Register House from it. It has since been suppressed.

Edinburgh, St Ann Street.

NMRS REFERENCE.

Historical File:

6 pages of text giving details of evolution of St Ann Street, filed under: 'NORTH BRIDGE STREET NEW BUILDINGS'.

NMRS REFERENCE.

Historical File:

24 pages of text giving details of North Bridge and refernces to St Ann Street, filed under: 'NORTH BRIDGE [NEW] AND STREET'.

NMRS Notes.

Possibly former site of Slater's Close.

NMRS REFERENCE

Slater's Close

Ran north from the Square, (Milne's Square) sold to the town probably in connection with the building of the old North Bridge.

NMRS REFERENCE

Lee's or Leye's Close

Lay at the East or the NE corner of Milne's Square; lost in the construction of the Old Bridge.

NMRS HISTORICAL FILE

Milne's Square.

Lee's Close, Slater's Close, Cranston Close all lost in construction of North Bridge.

Edinburgh, Lawnmarket, 'Old House'.

LOR/EARLSHALL CEILINGS/3: Fragment of /1.

LOR/EARLSHALL CEILINGS/4: Survey of decorated panelling at the 'Old House, Lawnmarket'.

Insc: 'Painted ceiling of Old House, Lawnmarket, recently pulled down' [back, in pencil].

Floral, bird and animal designs.

Ink and paint on linen. n/s n/d.

LOR/EARLSHALL CEILINGS/5: F.S. damask design for stencilling - at Earlshall??

Pencila and paint on green paper.

n/s n/d n/insc.

4 pages relating to this.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Printroom:

Soc Antiq Scot - Sir Daniel Wilson's collection of drawings etc. 'Old Edinburgh' vol 1-5 engravings.

Unable to locate at time of upgrade 15.2.2000.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Plans:

City Architect's plan store, drawer 1000 contains:

a) Photograph of the back of the buildings on the West side of the old Shakespear Square, prior to the building of the 'North Bridge Station Hotel' shews Waterloo Place and the Calton Hill Monuments, and in the foreground the roof of the Fruit and Vegetable Markets.

National buildings Record: photostat copy of (a) above.

Unable to locate at time of upgrade 15.2.2000.

Activities

Aerial Photography (1993)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions