Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, North Bridge, New Port

Gateway (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, North Bridge, New Port

Classification Gateway (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52148

Site Number NT27SE 14.11

NGR NT 2591 7379

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52148

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 14.11 259 738

The Flodden Wall was extended in 1560 as far as the SE corner of the North Loch, where a gate was set at the foot of Halkerstone's Wynd, called the New Port in the early 18th century and so marked on Edgar's maps of 1742 and 1765. (RCAHMS plan, shows the position of this port immediately E of North Bridge, over the present Waverley Station.)

W Cowan 1924; RCAHMS 1951.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions