Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Canongate

Coin(S) (Roman)

Site Name Edinburgh, Canongate

Classification Coin(S) (Roman)

Canmore ID 52119

Site Number NT27SE 116

NGR NT 267 739

NGR Description NT c. 267 739

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52119

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 116 c. 267 739.

Two coins, one an as of Augustus, and the other a forged coin of Septimus Severus, were found c. 1905 in a lump of earth from a trench in which was discovered a 'secret passage' running between Holyrood Palace and Moray House School. The finder was Mr John Marshall, 82 Gala Street, Niddrie, and the coins were submitted to the Hunterian Museum by Mr Marshall, 29 Palermo Street, Springburn, Glasgow.

A S Robertson 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions