Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith, Tolbooth Wynd

Carved Stone (17th Century), Date Stone (17th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, Tolbooth Wynd

Classification Carved Stone (17th Century), Date Stone (17th Century)

Canmore ID 52025

Site Number NT27NE 95

NGR NT 270 763

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52025

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 95 270 763

Above the entrance to a pend at the S end of Tolbooth Wynd is inserted a panel representing the import of wine. It bears the initials C R in monogram and the date 1678. In the lower left-hand corner is a two-masted carvel-built vessel. In the lower right-hand corner is a warehouse behind which is a crane swinging casks ashore; the motive power is supplied by a youth working a tread-mill while a man outside assists him. In the upper left-hand corner are two wine-porters bearing a cask slung from a pole in the fashion called 'sting and ling'. from which the wine-porters became known as 'sting-men'.

RCAHMS 1951.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

20.1.1814 Pet. John Crokats Land.

Plans, elevation and section of proposed alterations and improvements unsigned.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions