Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith, St Nicholas' Chapel

Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, St Nicholas' Chapel

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52019

Site Number NT27NE 9

NGR NT 2673 7660

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 9 2673 7660

See also NT27NE 23.

(Name: NT 2673 7660) Site of Citadel (NR)

(17th Century) On Site of (NR)

St Nicholas's Chapel, Hospital and Grave Yard (NR)

OS 6" map, Edinburghshire, 1st ed., (1853)

The chapel of St Nicholas of which nothing remains, is frequently mentioned after 1488; it was no doubt built as a chapel-of-ease, the parish church of that time being the Abbey Church of Holyrood. It was deserted in 1560, and was ruinous by 1569. Its site became part of Monk's Citadel (see NT27NE 10) in 1650. No mention of a hospital associated with it has been found, and such a foundation must be regarded as very probably conjectural (Easson 1957).

RCAHMS 1951; D E Easson 1957.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions