Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith, Manse

Manse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, Manse

Classification Manse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Quayside Mills

Canmore ID 52008

Site Number NT27NE 8.01

NGR NT 2685 7648

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52008

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 8.01 2685 7648

(NT 2685 7648) The manse, which stood at the NE corner of the church, still exists as the offices of Quayside Mills. It is built in two parts, of which the one to the W represents the parsonage of the two canons of Holyrood who served the church, while the E, larger, portion, which covers the entrance to the church, was added after the Reformation. The building as a whole has all the appearance of a late 16th century structure, remodelled towards the end of the 17th century. It is 3 storeys in height and L-shaped on plan. The masonry is of squared rubble; the lowest windows have been altered.

The entrance to the stair, now covered by the extension, is dated 1675 on the lintel.

RCAHMS 1951.

This old manse is in use as one of the mill buildings. The dated lintel still remains.

Visited by OS (B S) 27 November 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions