Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith Docks, West Breakwater, Lighthouse And Signal Tower

Beacon (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith Docks, West Breakwater, Lighthouse And Signal Tower

Classification Beacon (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Leith 1; Firth Of Forth; Outer Forth Estuary

Canmore ID 51976

Site Number NT27NE 57.01

NGR NT 26192 77986

NGR Description NT 26192 77986 and NT 26178 77984

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51976

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 57.01 26192 77986 and 26178 77984

Location formerly cited as NT 2618 7798.

See also NT27NE 57.07.

Signal Tower [NAT] (at NT 26178 77984)

Lighthouse (disused) [NAT] (at NT 26192 77986)

OS 1:1250 map, 1971.

(Leith 1: location cited as NT 262 781). On end of W breakwater: c. 1950. Supported by reinforced concrete platform, single-storey flat-roofed building with octagonal tower at N end. Gallery projects from tower and supports cylindrical lantern with trapezoidal curved panes and conical roof with domed ventilator, As built, flat-roofed building had massive semaphore device for signalling to ships. Main light abandoned and supplanted by small electric lantern on tubular pole, bolted to handrail. Similar light on pier beside entrance lock, which is fitted at both ends with pole-mounted traffic lights.

J R Hume 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions