Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Site Name Glencorse

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Glencorse Church

Canmore ID 51869

Site Number NT26SW 18

NGR NT 24671 62607

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Glencorse
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS 3 February 1970 and 9 December 1975.


Field Visit (20 November 1926)

Cup-and-Ring-Marked Stone near Glencorse Churchyard.

This finely-sculptured stone (Fig. 16) is an erratic boulder of old red sandstone showing distinct traces of glacial striation. It lies in the wood on the left-hand side of the road from Milton Bridge to the ruined church of Glencorse and about 50 yards due south of the Kirk Bridge. The upper surface of the boulder is covered with a group of cup-and-ring markings connected in some instances by clearly defined gutters. The details in one or two instances are slightly weathered, but the sculpture as a whole is well expressed, the cups varying from a mere pecking to as much as 2 ½ inches in diameter and 1 ¼ inches in depth. The boulder is loose and probably does not now occupy its original site. It is roughly rectangular and measures 3 feet in length, 2 feet 5 inches in greatest width, and 13 ½ inches at the thickest. It is broken on the underside, which shows no traces of design.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 20 November 1926

OS map: xiii N.E. (unnoted)

Note (1988)

Glencorse NT 2467 6261 NT26SW 18

A fine cupmarked boulder lies in the churchyard of Glencorse Parish Church. It measures 0.91m by 0.74m and 0.34m in thickness and bears at least twenty-six cupmarks, ten of them with encircling ring-marks. The stone is reported to have been found on the hill above the old parish church (NT 2452 6303). There is said to have been a second cup-and-ring marked stone at the old parish church, but it is now lost.


(RCAHMS 1929, 76, no. 106; Morris 1968, 71; Ritchie & Ritchie 1972, 82; Morris 1981, 147)

Note (15 December 2019)

Date Fieldwork Started: 15/12/2019

Compiled by: ELF

Location Notes: The panel is located within an enclosure of iron railings set against the E wall of Glencorse Church, 8m to west of the vestry door and on the edge of the car parking area, between the parking signs for Minister and Reserved. It is visible from the Glencorse House road. The stone was relocated here some time ago.

Panel Notes: This is a roughly rectangular sandstone fragment measuring 0.8 x 0.5m and 0.3m thick. It has been quarried from a larger stone or outcrop in the past and its N edge has quarrying marks, while its underside is rough and broken. It rests on its underside, with the carved surface sloping to the ENE, and an uncarved section sloping to the WSW. There are 13 well defined and deep cupmarks, 4 of which are aligned, a cup with radial, a pair of conjoined cups, a short courgette motif and 3 cups with single penannulars, and radials which run to the edge of the stone. The motifs are partly obscured by moss, which was not removed during recording to respect the wishes of the Session Clerk


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions