Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glencorse Reservoir, St Catherine's Chapel

Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glencorse Reservoir, St Catherine's Chapel

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 51860

Site Number NT26SW 1

NGR NT 2158 6392

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51860

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Penicuik (Midlothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26SW 1 2158 6392

(NT 2158 6392) St Catherine's Chapel (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957).

See also NT26SW 63.00.

This chapel was erected about the end of the 12th century to St Catherine (NSA 1845). Its foundations are normally covered by Glencorse Reservoir (NT26SW 63.00), but when visited in 1915, a fragment of rubble walling 10' long and 2'9" thick could be seen above the mud, and the overall internal dimensions of the oriented structure, approximately 44'9" by 20', suggested that the chapel was probably erected in the 13th century.

St Catherine's Church was annexed to Penicuick Church in 1635 (H Scott 1915), but its burial ground, 1/4 acre in extent, continued to be used till the middle of the 18th c (A Kerr 1879).

NSA 1845; A Kerr 1879; RCAHMS 1929, visited 1915.

Not visible at time of visit.

Visited by OS (RD) 3 February 1970.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions