Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Roslin, St Matthew's Church And War Memorial

Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Roslin, St Matthew's Church And War Memorial

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) War Memorial Window

Canmore ID 51857

Site Number NT26SE 8

NGR NT 2735 6302

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51857

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Lasswade
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26SE 8 2735 6302.

(NT 2735 6302) Church (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

St Matthew's Church, extant in the early 15th century, stood within the burial ground. Foundations are occasionally exposed by gravediggers and incised slabs are also found. Though Kerr notes that the position of its E gable is marked by some building at the root of an old elm tree, and the W wall by two rubble buttresses which had been erected against it, the RCAHMS mention only the buttresses. This church was superseded by the collegiate church described on NT26SE 22.

A Kerr 1878; RCAHMS 1929, visited 1921; H Scott 1950

The only visible remains of the church are the two buttresses; they are built of rubble masonry with dressed quoins. No trace of the remains of the E gable was seen.

Visited by OS (JFC) 2 September 1954

The remains are as described in the previous field report.

Visited by OS (SFS) 29 October 1975

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions