Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hailes House

Sculpture (Roman)

Site Name Hailes House

Classification Sculpture (Roman)

Canmore ID 51795

Site Number NT26NW 7

NGR NT 211 695

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51795

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26NW 7 c. 211 695.

A stone slab, carved in relief, representing the three Mother Goddesses, and dated to the 1st, or more probably the 2nd century AD, now in Fort Augustus monastery (NH30NE 3), was formerly built into the south face of the north wall, above a gate, in the garden of Hailes House (NT26NW 63.00: NT 211 695).

G Macdonald 1918; Scottish Record Office MW/1/828.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions