Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Comiston

Inscribed Stone (17th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Comiston

Classification Inscribed Stone (17th Century)

Canmore ID 51788

Site Number NT26NW 43

NGR NT 2452 6885

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51788

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

Into the back of the modern lodge, which stands on the main road to Fairmilehead, have been built two portions of a dormer pediment. The upper stone, the finial, is wrought with a crude voluted capital surmounted by a lozenge and bearing a rose, while the lower stone is initialled A.C.,M.D., for Andrew Creich of Comiston and Margaret Dick, his wife, and is dated 1610.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1928; J Geddie 1911

No trace. (Lodge has been demolished).

A N Robertson 1945; RCAHMS 1951

Activities

Field Visit (3 March 1928)

Inscribed Pediment, Comiston.

Into the back of the modern lodge, which stands on the main road to Fairmilehead, have been built two portions of a dormer pediment. The upper stone, the finial, is wrought with a crude voluted capital surmounted by a lozenge and bearing a rose, while the lower stone is initialled A.C., M.D., for Andrew Creich of Comiston (1) and Margaret Dick, his wife, and is dated 1610.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 3 March 1928.

(1) 'And. Creich of Colmiestoun' in Reg. Mag. Sig., s.a. 1614, No. 1108.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions