Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Camus Avenue, Comiston House, Stables

Stable(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Camus Avenue, Comiston House, Stables

Classification Stable(S) (19th Century)

Canmore ID 51787

Site Number NT26NW 42

NGR NT 23996 68618

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51787

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26NW 42 23996 68618

NT26NW 41.00 24088 68744 Comiston House

NT26NW 41.01 2453 6886 Lodge

NT26NW 41.02 23936 68599 Gate Piers

NT26NW 1 24004 68604 Dovecot

Stables contemporary with Comiston House (1815). At SE corner is a remnant of Old Comiston House, a circular angle-turret with gunloops and corbelled upper stage, 16th or 17th century, later used as a dovecot (NT26NW 1).

G A Fothergill 1910-12; A N Robertson 1945; RCAHMS 1951; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984

Activities

Standing Building Recording (15 February 2016 - 13 April 2016)

NT 23996 68618 (NT26NW 42 and NT26NW 1) A programme of archaeological work was undertaken, 15 February – 13 April 2016, at Comiston House Stables prior to its conversion into a house with garage. The stables served the nearby Comiston House which was built in 1815. The survey established that the stables’ interior mostly related to its recent use as a social club. However, the E end of the main block was

largely untouched and retained the original cobbled floor and evidence of the timber stalls. On the S elevation an armorial panel was found, thought to be of 17th-century date, probably relating to the earlier Comiston House, shown on Roy’s Military Survey. The remains of a 16th-century tower,

later converted to a dovecot, survive in the corner of the site. The monitoring of ground-breaking work did not uncoverany archaeological remains or artefacts.

Archive: NRHE (intended)

Funder: Mr D Tedesco

Jenni Morrison – Addyman Archaeology

(Source: DES, Volume 17)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions