Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Camus Stone

Boundary Marker (Period Unassigned), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Camus Stone

Classification Boundary Marker (Period Unassigned), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 51769

Site Number NT26NW 26

NGR NT 246 683

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51769

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26NW 26 246 683.

Though the RCAHMS considered that the names "Caiy Stone" and "Camus Stone" referred to the same monument (NT26NW 14), Wilson notes them as two quite separate stones. He states that the Camus Stone "occupied the brow of the hill at Fairmilehead, about 200 yds S of the present toll-house. (at NT 2465 6831 on OS 1st edition 6"). Though it gave name to a neighbouring estate, and formed the march stone of its eastern bounds, it was destroyed within living memory to provide materials for road repairs".

RCAHMS 1929; D Wilson 1863

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions