Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Mortonhall

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Edinburgh, Mortonhall

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 51732

Site Number NT26NE 6

NGR NT 262 683

NGR Description NT c. 262 683

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51732

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26NE 6 c. 262 683.

(NT 262 683) The present Mortonhall was completed in 1769. Near it, on a small eminence or rising ground stood the previous house where, in earlier times, had been a moated stronghold with a drawbridge. The estate was granted to Sir Oliver Sinclair of Roslin by James III in November 1486.

T Whyte 1792

No further information was found about the whereabouts of the original house and a search of the surrounding ground showed no trace.

Visited by OS (SFS) 19 October 1975

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions