Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lamancha

Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Lamancha

Classification Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 51670

Site Number NT25SW 5

NGR NT 200 522

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51670

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Newlands
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT25SW 5 c.200 522.

A ring-marked slab of red sandstone, 2ft 6ins by 1ft 10ins by c.4ins thick, discovered in a bank of gravel (J Y Simpson 1868) (gravel pit (Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1870)) at Lamancha, was presented to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS Accession no: IA6) in 1867.

Some other large stones found nearby suggested to Simpson that the site may have been sepulchral but there is no evidence that it formed part of a Bronze Age cist (E McWhite 1946). The stone bears an unusual group of markings, all pecked, including single and double rings and an area of punch-marks. (For full description see RCAHMS 1967)

NMAS 1892; RCAHMS 1967

No further information.

Visited by OS (RD) 6 February 1970

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Not applicable. Site of an unprovenanced find.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions