Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cringletie House

Country House (19th Century), Hotel (20th Century), Tower (Medieval)

Site Name Cringletie House

Classification Country House (19th Century), Hotel (20th Century), Tower (Medieval)

Canmore ID 51549

Site Number NT24SW 32

NGR NT 23487 44515

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51549

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Eddleston
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT24SW 32.00 23487 44515.

NT24SW 32.01 23880 44529 East Lodge

NT24SW 32.02 23441 44761 North Lodge

NT24SW 32.03 23481 44540 Stables

NT24SW 65 23424 44398 Dovecot

The old mansion of Cringletie was pulled down and a new one, completed in 1863, was built.

W Chambers 1864

In a grant by King Charles on 9 April 1633, mention is made of "the lands of Wester Wormestoun, then called Cringiltie, with the tower and manor place".

R Renwick 1897

NT 2348 4451. The modern mansion of Cringletie is of Scottish Baronial style, and would appear to be on the site of the former house of which no trace now remains.

Visited by OS (JLD) 17 May 1962

Architecture Notes

Architect: David Bryce, additions.

Activities

Publication Account (2008)

In 1861 James Wolfe Murray employed David Bryce to rebuild his house at Cringletie. Sir Alexander Murray of Blackbarony appears to have built the first house on the site in 1663–6. Although there are reports of the earlier house being torn down, the footprint and the unusual form of the south elevation with its disguised twin gables and odd window arrangement suggests that Bryce remodelled and refaced the earlier building. The reception rooms are on the first floor but look west up the hill rather than south down the valley for the wide view, which is the usual arrangement in Bryce house, for example Portmore House on the other side of the valley. The west elevation is therefore the show front with typical canted bay windows balanced to the north by an oriel window in the original family bedroom suite. The exterior is adorned with various heraldic panels, one dated 1666 which may be taken from the earlier house. A panel on the South elevation is inscribed; ‘WHATEVER ME BEFALL THANKS THE LORD OF ALL’. In 2003 Simpson and Brown added a discreet extension behind a screen wall.

The entrance vestibule retains its Bryce interior whereas the principal rooms and staircase were remodelled c.1904 when George Sutherland married Elizabeth Wolfe Murray whose monograms appear on the Drawing room ceiling. The designer and makers of the elaborate early twentieth century interiors have yet to be identified but it could well be the work of one of the Edinburgh firms such as Scott Morton or Whytock & Reid.

The house does not appear in the RCAHMS Peeblesshire Inventory, but it could be a candidate for study both because of its possible seventeenth century core and the early twentieth century work, which may relate to the RCAHMS collections and the AHRC bid.

There is a Walled Garden to the north of the house, a mid-nineteenth century sundial and an eighteenth century doocot. The absence of nesting boxes and a stringcourse or rat ledge suggests that it may be an adaptation of an earlier building. There are also two lodges, the principal east one being dated 1857.

Information from ‘The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Commissioners’ Field Meeting 2008'.

Sbc Note

Visibility: Evidence for this site, or the origins of this site, comes from documentary sources. Nothing may be visible at this location.

Information from SBC.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

Sbc Note

On Pont's Map as Kringley.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions