Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Peebles

Tolbooth (15th Century)

Site Name Peebles

Classification Tolbooth (15th Century)

Canmore ID 51453

Site Number NT24SE 18

NGR NT 2520 4053

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51453

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Peebles
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT24SE 18 2520 4053.

(NT 2521 4052) There was a Tolbooth on the north side of the Bridgegate and towards the west end. It was having a steeple built to it in 1488.

C B Gunn 1908

The Tolbooth was situated at the foot of the Bridgegate, and it seems probable that it was originally the house of the keeper of the gate.

W Chambers 1856

No further information obtained. The "foot of the Bridgegate" would make the site to be at NT 2520 4053.

Visited by OS (EGC) 27 February 1962

In 1487 there is a reference to a property on the N side of the 'Briggait' described as being bounded by the 'tolbuith' on the W. The tolbooth was apparently still in Briggait in 1545, but by 1572 had moved to the Steeple. It is probable that the Town Council met in the W end of the High Street until 1753, when the present Town House was built.

SBS Peebles 1977

Activities

Publication Account (1977)

In 1487 there is a reference to a property on the north side of the 'Briggait' described as being bounded by the 'tolbuith' on the west (Renwick, 1912, 19). The Tolbooth was apparently still in Briggait in 1545 (Gunn, 1908, 127), but by 1572 had moved down to the steeple (Buchan, 1925, ii, 337). It is probable that the Town Council met in the west end of the High street until 1753 (Renwick, 1912, 316). In 1749 the Town Council noted that other burghs 'have of late built new houses commonly called Town Houses' and with that Peebles magistrates resolved to do the same (Buchan, 1925, ii, 90). There was difficulty in finding a suitable site, but in 1753 a Town House was duly erected midway down the High Street, on the south side its front projecting seven feet (2.13m) in front of the buildings it is contiguous with (RCAHM, 1967, 279).

Information from ‘Historic Peebles: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1977).

Sbc Note

Visibility: Evidence for this site, or the origins of this site, comes from documentary sources. Nothing may be visible at this location.

Information from SBC.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions