Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Manor Bridge

Road Bridge (18th Century)

Site Name Old Manor Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Manor Water Bridge; Old Manor Brig; Roman Bridge; Peebles

Canmore ID 51296

Site Number NT23NW 26

NGR NT 23112 39393

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51296

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Manor
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT23NW 26 23112 39393

(NT 2311 3940) Old Manor Bridge (NAT)

OS 6" map (1965).

Not to be confused with Manor Bridge (over the River Tweed, at NT 22927 39484), for which see NT23NW 52.

This bridge, spanning the Manor Water, consists of a single arch of random rubble with dressed voussoirs. It was built in 1702 as is recorded on a panel on the NW face.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958

As described.

Visited by OS (RD) 23 June 1971

(Location cited as NT 232 394). Manor Water Bridge, built 1702 by the Earl of March. A single narrow segmental rubble arch with a pronounced hump.

J R Hume 1976.

This bridge carries an unclassified public road over the Manor Water a short distance S of its confluence with the River Tweed. The Manor Water here forms the boundary between the parishes of Peebles (to the E) and Manor (to the W).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 January 2006.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

This structure is a fine example of a largely rubble-stone arch bridge of 1702. It spans the Manor Water on a steep byroad to Peebles which, until the building of Manor Bridge, offered an alternative route to the use of the nearby Tweed Ford. Its span is 38 ft and width 912 ft. The bridge is now subject to a 7.5 t weight limit. An old tablet informs the reader that ‘William Duke of Queensberry designed this work and William Earl of March his second sone built the same Anno 1702’.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions