Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kailzie House

Country House (19th Century), Garden(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Kailzie House

Classification Country House (19th Century), Garden(S) (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kailsie; Kailzie Gardens

Canmore ID 51260

Site Number NT23NE 30

NGR NT 28251 38573

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Traquair
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT23NE 30.00 28251 38573

NT23NE 30.01 28187 38633 Dovecot

NT23NE 30.02 27868 38396 Home Farm, Farmhouse

NT23NE 30.03 28107 38567 Stables

NT23NE 30.04 29218 38498 Lodge

NT23NE 30.05 28375 38164 Gamekeeper's Cottage

NT23NE 30.06 27880 38887 North Lodges with Gates and Gate-piers

NT23NE 30.07 28020 38520 Walled Kitchen Garden

NT23NE 30.08 27850 38387 Home Farm, Stables

NT23NE 30.09 27849 38399 Home Farm, Steading

NT23NE 30.10 28207 38613 Game Larders

NT23NE 30.11 28052 38569 Head Gardener's House (Garden Cottage)

NT23NE 30.12 27995 38541 Walled Kitchen Garden, Glasshouses

NT23NE 30.13 28011 38517 Walled Kitchen Garden, Sundial

The mansion of Kailzie, which stood on the S bank of the Tweed about 2 miles below Peebles, was erected by Robert Nutter Campbell, the son of a wealthy Glasgow merchant, in 1803. Thereafter, the property changed hands a number of times, some alterations and additions being made to the house towards the end of the 19th century.

When visited (August 1958), the house was in the hands of a demolition contractor, and was pulled down shortly afterwards.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958.

Kailzie House is depicted on the OS 2nd Edition map (Peebleshire, sheet XIII, 1898). The house was demolished in 1962.

Information from RCAHMS (HMLB), July 2002.


Photographic Survey (1958)

Photographic Survey of Kailzie House in 1958.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions