Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blair Adam

Country House

Site Name Blair Adam

Classification Country House

Alternative Name(s) Blairadam; Blair Adam Policies

Canmore ID 51063

Site Number NT19NW 26

NGR NT 12929 95700

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2016.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Cleish
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Kinross-shire

Summary Record

The south wing of Blair Adam was recorded by RCAHMS Threatened Buildings Survey in June 2013 prior to proposed partial demolition of the wing that has been propped up with timber buttresses designed by Roland Wedgewood. The remaining portuion of the wing is to be developed as a study centre for the Adam Family archives. It is proposed to develop the partially ruinous notheast corner of the courtyard as two holiday houses this area was also recorded. The opportunity was also taken to photograph the exterior of the whole house.

STG 2014

Archaeology Notes

Architecture Notes

NT19NW 26.00 12929 95700

NT19NW 26.01 13179 95971 Walled Garden and Adam Monument (Centred on)

NT19NW 63 14209 95910 Blairfordel Lodge

NT19NW 18 1305 9526 East Lodge

NT19NW 19 12791 95616 Coach House

NT19NW 20 13022 96035 North Blair


Architect: William Adam, from 1733.

Robert Adam, additions 1772. Designs in Vol 45 of Soane Museum drawings - not executed.


John Adam's drawing instruments, two sets and their cases

in the collection of Keith Adam at Blair Adam - B00155, B00156, B00172 and B00174/CN


Standing Building Recording (1 June 2015 - 30 August 2015)

Addyman Archaeology undertook a standing building survey of the derelict and part demolished south range of Blair Adam house, by Kelty, Kinrossshire between June and August 2015. Further archaeological monitoring was undertaken during a further phase of demolition of the unstable 19th century range as part of a planning condition placed on

the works.

The structural history of the site was formerly reported upon in a dissertation (Hill 1995) based upon historic documents and what was visible at the time. The stripping and demolition of the range during the current works enabled a more refined set of phase plans and elevations to be produced, broadly confirming the earlier phasing of the structure.

The structure was originally constructed at the beginning of the 19th century and has seen an extensive series of modifications to the physical structure and use of its interior space. The last major phase was in the early 20th century with dilapidation and collapse of the structure in the later 20th century. These phases of modifications have been broadly assigned to the major phases identified in the earlier dissertation.

The range is to be rebuilt to securely store the archive of original Adam family documents held on site.

information from OASIS ID: addymana1-230052 (K Macfadyen) 2015


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions