Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

North Queensferry, The Brae, Old School House

Schoolhouse (19th Century)

Site Name North Queensferry, The Brae, Old School House

Classification Schoolhouse (19th Century)

Canmore ID 50962

Site Number NT18SW 41

NGR NT 13152 80612

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Inverkeithing
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife


Publication Account (1999)

The small village school proved too little for the growing population; and, in 1827, a new school was built by public subscription. The Old School House, standing half way up The Brae, once housed the school pupils on the ground floor and the master and his family above. The old school bell which called the children to school hangs above the southerly entrance.

Information from ‘Historic North Queensferry and the Peninsula: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1999).


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions