Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

North Queensferry, Ferryhills Road, North Queensferry Station

Footbridge (19th Century), Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name North Queensferry, Ferryhills Road, North Queensferry Station

Classification Footbridge (19th Century), Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) North Queensferry Railway Station

Canmore ID 50922

Site Number NT18SW 118

NGR NT 13153 80827

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50922

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Inverkeithing
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SW 118.00 13153 80827

North Queensferry Station [NAT]

OS 1:2500 map, 1966.

NT18SW 118.01 NT 13182 80817 Station House

For Ferryhills Tunnel (adjacent to N), see NT18SW 208.00.

For Forth (Rail) Bridge (adjacent to S), see NT17NW 70.

(Location cited as NT 132 808). North Queensferry Station, opened 1890 by the Forth Bridge Railway. A two-platform through station, with wooden buildings on both platforms, with awnings, and a wooden footbridge.

J R Hume 1976.

This intermediate station on the 'Fife Circle' route (starting at Edinburgh) is situated at the N end of the Forth (Rail) Bridge (see NT17NW 70), well above the village from which it takes its name. It was opened by the Forth Bridge Rly on 5 March 1890, and remains in regular use by passenger traffic. The station building on the W side has been replaced by a brick-built building which bears a mosaic relating to the construction of the Forth (Rail) Bridge.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 24 August 2009.

North Queensferry Sta [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, August 2009.

Activities

Publication Account (1999)

Also opened in 1890, the eastern block of railway waiting rooms, store and office still stands. Built on a brick base, the single-storeyed timber range of buildings has a slate roof. Originally a similar range stood on the west platform.

Information from ‘Historic North Queensferry and the Peninsula: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1999).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions