Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Charles Hill, Monks' Cave

Building (Medieval)

Site Name Charles Hill, Monks' Cave

Classification Building (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) St Colme House Policies

Canmore ID 50872

Site Number NT18SE 1

NGR NT 18572 83702

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50872

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dalgety
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SE 1 1857 8369

Monk's Cave (NR)

OS 6" map, Fife (1928).

The Monk's Cave, on Charles Hill, is entirely artificial and is really the lower storey of a building, probably a ferry-house and warehouse connected with Inchcolm Abbey (NT18SE 7). The building stands on the edge of a low cliff which has been partly excavated; the doorway, of 15th century date, opens into a vaulted cellar, 15' x 25 1/2'. The upper storey has been reduced to the level of the upper surface of the vault supporting it. The overall dimensions are 69' x 26 1/4'.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928.

Monk's Cave, in good condition, is as described above, a flight of modern steps has been erected against the outside of the S wall.

Visited by OS (AC), 11 March 1959.

(NT 1857 8369) Monks' Cave (NR)

OS 6" map, Fife (1967).

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (BS), 17 December 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions