Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Otterston Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Otterston Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Otterstone; Otterstoun

Canmore ID 50825

Site Number NT18NE 3

NGR NT 16514 85282

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dalgety
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18NE 3 16514 85282

(NT 1651 8527) Otterston (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1966)

The earliest part of Otterston Castle, built about the end of the 16th century, is the L-shaped central main block lying E-W with the wing projecting from the W end. The barmkin, running N and attached to the E wall of the wing, was probably an afterthought. The entrance is close to the northern of the two surviving towers which stood on the barmkin. Two wings were added within the barmkin in the 17th century. Extensive modern additions and alterations have been made.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; RCAHMS 1933, visited 1925.

Otterston Castle has been demolished except for a 16th century barmkin tower and some adjacent fragments of walling of indeterminate date. The tower, of rubble masonry with stone dressings, is of two storeys with a modern parapet. Two small gun-loops in the second storey face NE and SE respectively.

Visited by OS (AC) 11 March 1959

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (BS) 17 December 1975


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions