Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdour, Hillside

Dovecot (16th Century), Tower House (17th Century)

Site Name Aberdour, Hillside

Classification Dovecot (16th Century), Tower House (17th Century)

Canmore ID 50805

Site Number NT18NE 11

NGR NT 1910 8567

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50805

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Aberdour (Dunfermline)
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18NE 11 1910 8567 to 1912 8566

(NT 1910 8567) Tower (NR)

(NT 1912 8566) Dovecot (NAT)

OS 25" map (1914)

All that remains of the tower is the circular projection containing the newel staircase, preserved as a look-out. The tower has evidently been a 17th century house with later extensions.

SE of the tower is a late 16th century dovecot, 19' in diameter, in three stages, defined by string-courses.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928.

When seen in 1959, part of the E wall of the tower was noted, incorporated in the outbuildings of Hillside; the wall, of rubble masonry with stone dressings, rose to first floor level and contained a doorway and two small windows, probably of 17th century date. The dovecot was as described. However, in July 1960, both the tower and dovecot were demolished, the ground being levelled and no trace of either building remained.

Visited by OS (AC) 11 March 1959 and Reviser 8 October 1962.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions