Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdour, Hawkcraig Road, St Fillan's Church, War Memorial

Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Aberdour, Hawkcraig Road, St Fillan's Church, War Memorial

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Aberdour Parish Church; Aberdour Kirk, Memorial To T Col G C T Keyes Vc Mc Croix De Guerre

Canmore ID 50804

Site Number NT18NE 10

NGR NT 19320 85468

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50804

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Aberdour (Dunfermline)
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18NE 10.00 19320 85468

(NT 1932 8546) St Fillan's Church (NAT) (AD 1178)

(NT 1937 8542) Well (NR) (site of)

OS 25" map (1964)

NT18NE 10.01 NT 1937 8542 Well

NT18NE 10.02 NT 193 854 Churchyard

Aberdour parish church, dedicated to St Fillan, was granted to Inchcolm Abbey in 1123-4 first mentioned in 1178. Aisles were added in the 16th and 17th centuries, when alterations were also made. A new church was built at Wester Aberdour in 1796-8, and this church left roofless until 1925-6 when it was restored, services being resumed in the latter year. St Fillan's Well, also referred to as "Pilgrims' Well", nearby, was visited by pilgrims (see NT18NE 14). This is probably the same well as the one, now filled up, which was situated 30 yds SE of the SE corner of the old churchyard, and was visited at the end of the 18th century by people with eye troubles.

W Ross 1862; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887; H Scott (Fasti Eccles) 1925; RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928; H Scott 1950; M R Apted 1966.

St Fillan's Church is still in use. The site of the well, at NT 1937 8542, was pointed out by the custodian of Aberdour Castle who stated that it was probably a spring as it still issues at certain times.

Visited by OS (AC), 11 March 1959

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (BS), 17 December 1975

Built into the E wall of the porch of the church at Aberdour, is part of a carved stone, possibly a cross base on which the lowest postion (probably feet or foot and tail) of interlaced animal decoration is carved in relief.

(Slide and sketch with FAI: FAI No. 70/9/1).

E Proudfoot and B Proudfoot 1987.

Architecture Notes

Restored 1926 W. Williamson Arch. D.H.L.

REFERENCE

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Building the new Church.

The Heritors have adopted the plan used for the Church of Dyke.

The new Church is to be built at Wester Aberdour. The Heritors have decided to advertise for tradesmen. The Old Church is to remain until the new one is built.

25 March. Letter Robert Beatson to the Earl of Morton.

1787

GD150/2407/20

Estimates for building the new Church. Seven estimates have been given in for building the Church but several of them appear very high. They range from &585 to ?752.

Robert Beatson considers ?500 sufficient for a Chruch built on the plan of the Kirk of Dyke.

Letter robert Beatson to the Earl of Morton

N.D.(1789)

GD150/2407

Construction of a vault and building of a loft above the vault in Aberdour Kirk.

Masons' Quarriers 'Wrights' and Labourers' Day Book

1749

GD150/2394/6

Alterations to the doorways of the kirk. The masons are occupied in building up the South Porch Door and widening the East Door.

Masons' Quarriers' and Labourers' Day Book.

1749

GD150/2394/6

Payment requested for building Aberdour Church. Mr Wilson who built the Church begs 'to have a meeting of the Heritors to take the Church of his hand and assess themselves for his payment? (Alexander) Laing, Architect, (0.18,23) was acquainted with the problems that had been attended with much trouble and expense'.

Letter Hugh Bremner to the Earl of Morton.

20 Februrary 1790

GD150/3505/15

Building of a loft in Aberdour Church. Petition from the Hammerment of Aberdour to the Earls of Morton and Moray.

They ask permission to erect a loft for a seat within the Church of Aberdour either in the NE part or any other part within the Church that their Lordships shall order.

1727

GD150/2404/24

Slating the Church roof and alterations to three of the windows.

Sums paid to tradesmen for work and materials.

1724-1728

GD150/2410/21

Repair of kirk. Receipted account for slater work.

1754 and 1735

GD150/2413/15

Account of the expense of repairing the kirk at Aberdour.

Receipts for payment for materials and for mason wright and slater work. They amount to ?40.9.41/2.

1744-45

GD150/2428/3/23-36

Activities

Aerial Photography (1966)

Oblique aerial photographs of Aberdour, FIfe, photographed by John Dewar in 1966.

Aerial Photography (1966)

Oblique aerial photographs of Aberdour, Fife, photographed by John Dewar in 1966.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions