Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Broomhall

Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Pendant

Site Name Edinburgh, Broomhall

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Pendant

Canmore ID 50656

Site Number NT17SE 17

NGR NT 1949 7231

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50656

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17SE 17 1949 7231.

(NT 1949 7231) In April 1958, when digging foundation trenches on the Broomhall housing estate, a bronze disc 1.25" in diameter, decorated with a hunting horn and traces of gilding remained. An armorial pendant, which must have belonged to a member of the Forrester family, and apparently of 14th-15th century date (J S Richardson) it was donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS).

The site of the find, now 35-37 Broomhall Terrace, is on raised ground on the S bank of the eastern end of the former Gogar Loch, drained in the 17th century. Building operations on the site exposed a number of large boulders in linear settings suggesting the foundation of a man-made structure, perhaps a medieval stringhold when Adam Forrester bought the grounds of Corstorphine in 1374 and built his castle between the Lochs a quarter mile further E before his death in 1405.

E A Cormack 1960; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1961

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions