Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Queensferry, 'niven's Bank'

Cist(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name South Queensferry, 'niven's Bank'

Classification Cist(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 50563

Site Number NT17NW 25

NGR NT 1340 7825

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50563

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Dalmeny
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17NW 25 1340 7825.

(NT 1340 7825) Human Bones and Stone Coffins found here (NAT)

OS 6" map (1856)

Several cists, with the skeletons in some instances entire, and other remains of interment (Name Book 1855) were found in Niven's Bank, a small steep bank, sloping N to the road, at the N side of Niven's Green, when it was being levelled down during the construction of the railway (T Orrock 1880).

Possibly cists had been found here before the railway was built, as Fyfe notes that considerable numbers of cists had been found here, and that, "one skeleton, well-preserved, was found by Mr A Whyte (The Terrace, South Queenferry), when a boy, in a very shallow grave."

W W Fyfe 1852

No further information.

Visited by OS (BS) 16 August 1974

Several cists with human remains, were reported found here prior to 1855 during the construction of the railway. The bank is situated to the west of Two Bridges hotel on the southern side of the promenade. There is no other information on these cists and there is nothing visible on the ground.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 18th February 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions