Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Queensferry, Edinburgh Road, Crossall Hill

Cross Base (Early Medieval)

Site Name South Queensferry, Edinburgh Road, Crossall Hill

Classification Cross Base (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Dalmeny House Policies; Leuchold Gate

Canmore ID 50492

Site Number NT17NW 12

NGR NT 1490 7791

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50492

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Dalmeny
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County West Lothian

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT (24 August 2016)

Crossall Hill, Dalmeny, West Lothian, cross-base

Measurements: L 1.04m, W 1.04m, H 0.31m

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NT 1490 7791

Present location: in situ on the south side of the B 924 on Crossall Hill.

Evidence for discovery: first recorded by Drummond in 1860, at which time there was no shaft present.

Present condition: .

Description

This is a plain square cross-base with a hollow socket 0.37m square and 0.23m deep. It is set on a larger sandstone plinth, which is assumed to be relatively modern.

Date range: uncertain.

References: Drummond SAS 386; Coles 1899, 338.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016

Archaeology Notes

NT17NW 12 1490 7791.

(NT 1490 7791) Cross (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1968)

Only the socket-stone remains of the cross which stood here. It measures 3 1/2' x 3 1/4', with its corners roughly bevelled, and in its centre is a 15" square socket, 10" deep. This stone is embedded in a modern sandstone base, 5 1/4' square, and in the socket there is a loose stone, which does not appear to have formed part of the original monument. It is commonly assumed that this cross marked the spot that gave pilgrims their first sight of Dunfermline Abbey.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1926; F R Coles 1899; A Macdonald 1941

As described.

Visited by OS (BS) 15 August 1974

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions