Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West Linton , St Mungo's Well

Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name West Linton , St Mungo's Well

Classification Well (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 50242

Site Number NT15SW 18

NGR NT 1486 5187

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50242

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Linton (Tweeddale)
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT15SW 18 1486 5187.

(NT 1486 5187) Well (NAT)

OS 6" map (1957)

St Mungo's Well is a spring well, a few yards from the W bank of the Lyne. It is not used by any of the villagers as they had to cross the river to reach it. The origin of the name is unknown, but it is supposed that the monastery belonging to St Mungo had some land adjacent to the village attached to it, but whether the well was on that land or not is not known.

Name Book 1856

This well has been covered by the earth embankment of the widened main road and bridge immediately to the north.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 19 February 1970

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions