Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ingraston House

House (Post Medieval)

Site Name Ingraston House

Classification House (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Garvald House

Canmore ID 50028

Site Number NT14NW 6

NGR NT 1062 4811

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Linton (Tweeddale)
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT14NW 6 1062 4811

NT14NW 6.01 1033 4856 Gateway

(NT 1062 4811) Ingraston (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1911)


The house of Ingraston stood on the N side of the Garvald Burn, about 1/4 mile W of Loanend. The building was in existence at the beginning of the 18th century, but was not occupied in 1775. It was dismantled in the second quarter of the 19th century, the stones being taken to build the farmhouse of the same name. Some fragments were preserved in the form of an arch and re-erected on this site to indicate where the house stood (Name Book 1856). These fragments, now forming an arched gateway at NT 103 485 opposite the entrance to the policies of Garvald House, date to the late 16th or early 17th century, and include some voussoirs from an archway, a small oval gun-loop and a section of corbelling. They were no doubt moved there c.1864 when the Dolphinton-Carstairs railway line was built.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958



There are no remains of the house but the gateway exists at NT 1033 4857 as described. On the apex of the arch is inscribed 'I L 1650'.

Visited by OS (IA) 26 September 1972

Architecture Notes

The arch from Ingraston House was moved to sit opposite the lodge at Garvald House. It has now been re-erected in the Biggar Museum. 1997


Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

Sbc Note

The original House dates from the early 17th century, this was dismantled in the 19th century, and stone taken to build the present farmhouse. Some of the fragments were erected as a gateway(02) to indicate the site of the old house.

Information from Scottish Borders Council


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions