Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bordlands Rings

Fort (Prehistoric)

Site Name Bordlands Rings

Classification Fort (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 49987

Site Number NT14NE 5

NGR NT 1561 4633

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49987

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Newlands
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT14NE 5 1561 4633.

(NT 15614633) Bordlands Rings (NAT) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map(1967)

Fort, Bordlands Rings. On the gently rounded summit of Bordlands Hill, there is a circular bivallate fort measuring internally 180ft in diameter. The inner rampart is represented by a bank 25ft thick at the base and 6ft high, while the outer rampart is of similar character but measures only 3ft in height. Former cultivation has removed the E and W sectors of the outer rampart, and may also have obliterated a medial ditch. The entrance, 12ft in width, is on the E. Apart from a comparatively modern quarry the interior is featureless.

(Information from R W Feachem notebook 1959, 14)

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1959

This earthwork which occupies a non-defensive position, is generally as described. Although there are no longer any traces of habitation due to surface quarrying it is probably a settlement.

Visited by OS (JTT) 31 August 1964 and (SFS) 14 October 1974

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions