Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Romanno

Battle Site (17th Century), Dovecot (17th Century)

Site Name Romanno

Classification Battle Site (17th Century), Dovecot (17th Century)

Canmore ID 49954

Site Number NT14NE 15

NGR NT 1656 4818

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49954

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Newlands
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT14NE 15 1656 4818.

Romanno. At the SW corner of the garden is a large elm tree, around which a battle was fought between two tribes of gipsies called the Fawes and the Shaws in the year 1683, in which a good many on both sides were killed.

Name Book 1856

Site of Affray between two parties of Gipsies 1677. Adjoining Dovecot. This is where the contest took place between the two clans the Fawes and the Shawes. It happened on the 1st of October 1677 and to commemorate the event Dr Penicuik erected a Dovecot on the spot where the fight took place. No remains of this dovecot are to be seen now but the stone bearing the inscription (viz The field of Gipsie blood which here you see. A shelter for the harmless dove shall be 1683) is still to be seen, it is placed above the garden door at Romanno.

Name Book 1856

The garden at Romanno is the enclosed area centred on NT 1656 4818 and numbered 773 on OS 25" plan. There is no elm tree at the SW corner of the garden nor any remains of a dovecot in the vicinity, but the stone bearing the inscription given by Name Book is now built into the end of the garden wall at NT 1660 4820. Above the inscription are the letters APMD MM. The Name Book entries differ as to the date of this conflict. It is more likely that the battle took place on the 1st October 1677 and the dovecot was erected later in 1683 but nothing could be found to confirm this.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 24 August 1964

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions