Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stobo Castle

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Stobo Castle

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Stobo Estate

Canmore ID 49820

Site Number NT13NE 19

NGR NT 17298 36660

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49820

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Stobo
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT13NE 19.00 17298 36660

NT13NE 19.01 Centred NT 1785 3678 Walled Garden

NT13NE 19.02 NT 1725 3664 Stables

NT13NE 19.03 NT 1727 3663 Ice-house

NT13NE 19.04 NT 1760 3695 Bridge (formerly NT13NE 35)

NT13NE 19.05 Centred NT 1732 3694 Garden, including water garden

NT13NE 19.06 NT 17754 36749 Garden Bridge

See also NT13NE 51 NT 17793 36828 Garden Lodge

NT13NE 82 NT 18382 37983 Easter Knowes Farm

There was a tower at Hillhouse. In listing the towers along the Tweed, for 10 miles above and 10 miles below Peebles, the entry seems to suggest that the Hillside tower lay between those of Easter Dawic (NT13NE 8) and Wester Dawic, now New Posso. (?)

W Dalgleish 1794.

Stobo Castle was erected on the site of "Hill House" in 1805-11.

J W Buchan and H Buchan 1927

No further information.

Visited by OS(DWR) 8 August 1972

The 19th century castle and surrounding area is visible on vertical air photographs (OS 72/375/1060-2, flown 1972).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM) April 1992

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Archibald and James Elliot 1805-1807

James Lessels - porte cochere and other alterations - c.1849

N.M.R.S - Inventory of plans - typescript (R6/P35)

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

N.M.R London

Bedford Lemere Register, No 4. 16041/2 - negatives

Activities

Photographic Record (1896)

Photograph album with views from the Scottish Borders in 1896 including Peebles

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions