Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Logan Knowes

Building (17th Century), Enclosure(S) (Period Unassigned), Plantation (Period Unassigned), Rig And Furrow (Medieval)

Site Name Logan Knowes

Classification Building (17th Century), Enclosure(S) (Period Unassigned), Plantation (Period Unassigned), Rig And Furrow (Medieval)

Canmore ID 49785

Site Number NT12NW 41

NGR NT 1085 2958

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49785

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT12NW 41 107 294

These monuments are visible on large scale vertical photograph (OS 71/369/084, flown 1971).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM) April 1992.

Two enclosures, one of which is a plantation, are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Peeblesshire 1859, sheet xix) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1991).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 20 November 2000.

A group of small enclosures at NT 1085 2958, shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1991) are also depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Peeblesshire 1859, sheet xix) and annotated as a sheepfold.

Information from RCAHMS (GJW) 14 August 2001.

As part of the continuing re-survey of Tweeddale the following principal sites have been recorded:

NT 1085 2958 Deserted post-medieval settlement.

A full report has been lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsors: Biggar Museum Trust, Peeblesshire Archaeological Society.

T Ward 2000

Activities

Excavation

NT 1085 2958 Excavation has begun on this site to determine its period of occupation period. At the time of writing part of a lime-mortared random rubble building c4m wide internally and with an entrance in the northern long wall has been exposed. The walls measure 1.2m in thickness and therefore indicate a building

of 17th-century or earlier date. A floor surface of roughly placed stones includes part of a byre drain that discharged through the doorway. Fragments of red sandstone may indicate the use of dressed stonework. Apart from relatively modern items, part of an 18th-century tobacco pipe bowl and fragments of green glazed

pottery have been found. This project will investigate a series of buildings in the area. Survey shows a sheep farm with enclosures and a series of milking buchts, but the building may prove to a bastle or a tower house.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions